Monday, September 6, 2010

oh the temptation...

I will not go to Summer Hill.
I will not go to Summer Hill.
I will not go to Summer Hill.

This is what I'm trying to tell myself. Limited funds mean it really is a bad idea. But with Ebay money starting to roll in...

The Anglicare Warehouse in Summer Hill is the ULTIMATE TEMPTATION if you are an avid op-shopper and/or bargain hunter and you're in the Sydney region. I've thus far only been there once, on a Saturday and whilst we got there in reasonably good time, my advice to you, reader is: GET THERE EARLY. I went last year and whilst it was 'known' back there, there wasn't at that stage, the massive plunge into thrift buys that we have now.

They sell clothes at $6 a kilo, not including shoes and handbags. There are also a variety of other bits and pieces, belts, bedding, home wares and other bits and pieces for the kitchen or just sweet little things to add to one's home decor. It's one of those places that you can really get in and have a dig and an explore. There are massive bags/metal boxes of clothing, as well as piles in some cases on the floor and on tables. You really do need to be prepared to make at least a half day of it. For me, the thrill of the hunt has always been part of the joy of bargain hunting and op-shopping, so I was happy to sift through. Last time I was there with my Ex who managed to pick up a number of decent winter coats in time for another freezing winter. I managed to pick up a few dresses/skirts and a handbag or two.

I also picked up a cute 2-in-1 teacup/teapot on a saucer, in a pretty floral pattern. I was very chuffed with that. My find of the day though was an as new Water Purifier, for $10. The reason it had been donated was because the small silver tap at the front where the water comes out, had broken. I've since been able to locate a replacement tap at Bunnings and it's on my list of things to ask the Boy to help me do. (I try to steer clear of certain tasks that could result in breaking things, I'm man enough to admit home repairs aren't my strong suit :p)



1 comment: